Thursday, March 1, 2012

Waffles Make Me Happy

Buying a Belgian waffle maker was either the best or worst decision of my life, depending on whether I can run enough to avoid an expanding waistline should my twice-a-week waffle fix continues.
I like my waffles crispy on the outside with a soft center and this recipe, adapted from a page I ripped out of a Gourmet magazine from a few years ago, does the trick. Topped with butter, powdered sugar, and fresh blueberries, these waffles actually make me look forward to getting out of my warm bed on a cold morning! 

Crispy Waffles
Yield: 4 Waffles
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups milk (whole or 2%)
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
Vegetable oil
Powdered sugar
Fresh berries
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in large bowl to blend. Whisk milk, 2 large eggs, and melted butter in medium bowl to blend. Add milk mixture to dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk until batter is smooth. Let batter stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
Heat waffle iron according to medium-high heat (I use setting number 4 on my waffle iron). Brush grids lightly with vegetable oil. Pour enough batter onto each waffle grid to cover generously. Close waffle iron and cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp on both sides, about 5 minutes or until steam subsides.
Dust with powdered sugar and top with plenty of fresh berries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment