Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mo' Better

I’ve been baking since I was a child and spent years working in restaurants. Over the years I’ve learned three easy tips for making better cookies:

1. Use dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar for a richer taste;
2. Add a little (1/4 cup or so) extra flour than most recipes call for; and
3. Always refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 8 hours (or more) to keep cookies from baking down. I know people that refrigerate their cookie dough for 24-36 hours (although I must admit I don't have much willpower when it comes to cookie dough in my fridge!). This also allows the gluten to settle and allows the dry ingredients to have a chance to absorb the moist ingredients, which results in better flavors.

Chocolate Chip Cornflake Cookies

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Can you please post the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be posing the recipe in a couple of weeks :) I can email ou the recipe in the meantime if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy . Send me the recipe as well! Your dear ole aunt who is about to take a hungarian cookiing class here in Budapest. We are going to make a 3 course meal which includes streudal!

    Well, I am not really anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're having fun in Budapest! I will email you the recipe later this week (PS, it will be this week's post so you can see pictures of how they look after being baked.)

    ReplyDelete