Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Summer is Berry Pickin' Time

Nothing brings back happy childhood memories like the smell of a pie baking in the oven.  
I must have been feeling nostalgic because I recently made the trek to Pescadero to visit Phipps Country Farm to pick fresh olallieberries.   
Phipps is one of my favorite places to visit on a warm summer day (and very kid-friendly, too)!  In addition to row after row of juicy berries, they also have peacocks, chickens, and other farm animals for the kiddos to see.  
You can pick either strawberries or olallieberries during the summer months.  There is a nominal entrance fee ($3 per adult) and the berries are delicious and inexpensive (olallieberries were $3 per pound).  


I’ll let you know once I perfect my recipe...


For more information about Phipps, check them out at http://www.phippscountry.com/

2 comments:

  1. What's great about those berries is that they freeze well for up to 3 months! Just take out what you need to add to your favorite recipe all summer long:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my unwashed berries on a cookie sheet and freeze overnight. The following day I pre-measure the berries for various recipes, put in ziplock bag, and write the quantity on the outside of each bag.

    ReplyDelete