Monday, November 21, 2011

Turkey Day Wine


I've spent almost a decade in the wine business, both on the restaurant side and as a wine salesperson where I'd sell wine to fine dining restaurants in the Bay Area and teach their staff about wine. It never fails that the day before Thanksgiving I have at least two friends text me from the grocery store or wine store asking what to serve for Thanksgiving.

I always suggest serving whatever wines you enjoy, it doesn't have to be the "perfect pair" with your meal. That said, here are a few readily available wines at different price points that would go well with your holiday dinner:

Champagne/Sparkling
Maybe it’s because I worked at a French restaurant for nine years but I believe Champagne goes with everything. My go-to bottle is Henriot “Souverain” Brut Champagne ($34.99). I also like Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Brut ($18.99).  


Riesling
A good Riesling is very versatile. I prefer a Kabinett style; Dr. Loosen “Blue Slate” Estate Kabinett ($19.99) is always a crowd pleaser.

Pinot Noir
As a general rule, I like more Burgundian style Pinots with my turkey. I’m a devotee of Joseph Drouhin wines, and the Gevrey-Chambertin ($49.99) is wonderful. I also like Domaine Serene “Evenstad Reserve” Willamette Valley Pinot ($46.99).

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment